No heating system in a home lasts forever. This doesn’t just mean the furnace that provides warmth to the air in your house. It also means the heater that warms up the water your family uses every day for cooking, cleaning, bathing, and other tasks.
It’s important to watch out for signs that your home’s water heater needs to be replaced. You can depend on us for excellent water heater services in Chowchilla, CA or elsewhere in the Central Valley when the time comes for a new water heater installation.
Warnings of a Failing Water Heater
Let’s start with diagnosing that your old water heater is coming to the end of its service life. Here are the signs to look for:
- Basic age: Just how old is your water heater? Standard storage tank water heaters (which is probably the type you have) can last around 15 years. But 20 years is pushing it. If your water heater is older than 15 years, it’s safer to arrange to replace it before the inevitable decline sets in. And you can start immediately saving money thanks to the improved energy efficiency.
- Rising heating bills: A water heater accounts for 18% of a home’s energy use according to the U.S. Department of Energy. That means an aging water heater that is losing efficiency will create a noticeable spike in your utility bills. If a repair can’t reverse this problem, it’s better to have the water heater replaced.
- Leaking: A water heater shouldn’t leak—with the exception of some drips from the pressure relief valve. If your water heater runs into frequent leaking trouble, you should retire it.
- Corrosion: Although some minor corrosion on parts such as the heat exchanger can be fixed, it is otherwise a major sign that the water heater has aged out of usefulness.
- Drop in hot water volume: If a water heater can no longer keep up with your household’s daily hot water demands, have experts look into whether it’s a repair issue or an age issue.
How a New Water Heater Benefits You
If you have a water heater that isn’t doing its job, then the benefits of replacing it with a new unit are obvious. However, there are other advantages of putting in a new water heater to consider:
- Energy savings: New water heater models are more energy efficient than older ones thanks to improvements in technology. Even if you replace a tank water heater with a similar model, the new water heater will probably work more efficiently than the old one did even when it was first installed.
- Tankless benefits: Putting in a new water heater is an opportunity to pick a different type. Going with a tankless water heater offers many advantages: high energy efficiency, unlimited hot water, and an extend service life.
- Reliability: You don’t want to lose your hot water supply abruptly when the water heater fails on you. Lack of hot water can bring the day to a standstill! Putting in a new system means putting in a more reliable one—and the peace of mind alone makes it worth it.
Talk to one of our licensed professionals today, and they’ll be glad to assist you with finding the water heating system that will make the difference in your house.
Purl’s Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning has served the Central Valley Since 1952. Quality is the cornerstone of our success.