The Central Valley is looking at a scorching hot weekend ahead, with temperatures reaching triple-digit highs starting Friday! We are here to help if you need air conditioning repair, of course. We also have some advice for how you can keep cool and safe through these temperature extremes:
- Pull down the shades and close the shutters of windows around the house. This will help keep out radiant heat from the sun.
- Keep to the shade as much as possible if you do have to go out. If you must be in the sun, apply generous amounts of sunscreen (at least 15 SPF) and wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Wear light, loose-fitting, light-colored clothes.
- Plan your day specifically around the peak heat times—11 a.m. to 5 p.m.—so you won’t be outdoors during the hottest periods.
- Avoid tasks such as cooking, running the washing machine, or doing laundry during the day. These generate large amounts of extra heat.
- Although cooling off with a shower can feel nice, too much extra moisture in the air will make the heat feel worse indoors.
- Keeps all pets inside or in the shade.
- Drink plenty of cool drinks to stay hydrated, and eat smaller cold meals such as salads and fruit. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can dehydrate you.
- Supplement your air conditioning system with fans to help create a cooling breeze.
- Do not push your air conditioning system too hard—maintain a 78°F setting on the thermostat during the day when people are home.
Purl’s Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning: Quality Is the Cornerstone of Our Success!