Northern and Central California are seeing a large amount of rain at the end of December and the start of January. That’s good news in some ways, since it helps to ease drought conditions. But it can be rough in other ways—such as on your house.
Protecting your home from rainfall is one of the jobs of rain gutters. Like any part of a home, rain gutters will wear down over time and eventually need to be replaced. With all the rain coming down in the Central Valley, it’s a good time to check to see if you need to replace your rain gutters in Fresno, CA.
Inspecting Your Rain Gutters
When you inspect your rain gutters, you’re looking for signs of damage from rain and aging, as well as clogging that restricts the ability of the gutters to direct downpour away from the house and into the storm drainage system.
We recommend you inspect your gutters twice annually, and considering we’re in the middle of a rainy season, right now is definitely a good time. You’ll need to use a ladder to get close to the gutters. Make sure to use caution with the ladder: have a friend or family member help to stabilize the ladder and spot for you.
- First, remove all the leaves and other obstructions gathered in the gutters. Take a bucket with you to collect them and then hand them to your partner down on the ground. This will make the process safer and quicker. You may need to use a hose to get rid of smaller particles by flushing them down the downspout.
- You’ll also need to use the hose to test how well the water is moving through the gutters toward the downspouts. If the water is flowing easily toward the downspout, the angle on the gutters may not be right, which will require having the gutters repaired or else replaced.
- Check for gaps between the gutters and the wall of the house. These gaps can allow water to flow down the side of the house. If you notice water stains on the exterior of the house, look closely at the gutter attachment in that area: it could be tearing loose.
- Look for leaks or breaks in the gutters. Strain on the gutters can lead to their seams separating and causing leaks. If you find holes within the gutter material rather than at the seams, this calls for replacing the gutter completely. Also look carefully for cracking and splitting—even if it isn’t causing a leak, this is a sign of deterioration in the gutters.
- Check for areas of corrosion. Even if they aren’t leaking, corroding gutters are a problem waiting to happen.
What to Do If Your Gutters Are in Poor Shape
You’ve made your inspection and discovered several areas where your gutters are failing. Now what? That’s actually easy. Purl’s Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning offers customized duct repair and customized duct replacement services. We understand what’s necessary for duct maintenance as well. If you need replacement ducts, we’ll create customized ducts rather than using off-the-shelf pieces so you get the perfect new set of rain gutters.
Contact Purl’s Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning for customized rain gutter replacement. Uncompromised Quality & Customer Service Since 1952.